Thursday, September 22, 2016

This one's for you, Loki...

It's been almost a month now since we lost you, and I still think about you every day. Some days are harder than others, like when Murdoch and I do something particularly fun or when I walk by a toy you mangled, or your empty bed; other days, I just hope there really is a "better place" where you are waiting for us, and that you forgave me for having to let you go.

It may sound cliche, but no other dog will ever take your place. We fell into a "new normal" around here, but we aren't kidding ourselves, it just isn't the same without you and your quirks to drive us crazy... I'd give anything to have you torment me one more time when I try to water the grass, or steal my tomatoes, or throw open the screen door like something out of The Shining. You were a menace, Loki, and I loved you with all of my heart.

If it seems like this entry is fragmented, and it doesn't wrap up nicely in the end, it's because that is how we still feel. You left too soon. It didn't really feel over, and it certainly wasn't fair. I promised Murdoch I'd bring you home, and I couldn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment